Daily Current Affairs (13 and 14 Nov, 2018)
· World Kindness Day is an international observance on 13 November. It was introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement, a coalition of nations’ kindness NGOs.
· Newly appointed Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa ended his five-decadelong association with Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) and joined newly-formed Sri Lanka People’s Party (SLPP).
· The world’s largest supercomputer Spiking Neural Network Architecture (SpiNNaker) machine designed to work in same way as human brain was switched on for the first time. It designed and built at University of Manchester in UK.
· The Election Commission has set up ‘Sangwari’ polling booths in various constituencies of Chhattisgarh to encourage women voters to exercise their franchise in the Assembly elections. In Chhattisgarhi dialect, ‘Sangwari’ means friend.
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation several projects including two National Highways and an Inland Waterways Terminal on River Ganga at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. The total cost of these projects is 2413 crore rupees. The Prime Minister also received the country’s first container cargo transported on inland waterways from Kolkata.
· The ACC has approved the appointment of S. S. Deswal, IPS as Director General, Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). He took charge from R K Pachnanda, the outgoing DG of ITBP, who superannuated recently. Mr Deswal will hold the additional charge of the post of DG, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) till further orders.
· Swati Chaturvedi has won the 2018 London Press Freedom Award for Courage. She is a freelance journalist who has been the target of online trolling and harassment for her investigative reports. Ms.Chaturvedi won the award for her work in exposing the “IT cell” within the Bharatiya Janata Party for keeping an army of angry trolls.
· Famous yoga exponent and author, Mansi Gulati’s book, ‘Yoga and Mindfulness’. The book was launched by the Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Conference Hall, Vice President’s House, New Delhi.
· National Children’s day is celebrating on November 14 . Children’s Day is a day recognised to celebrate children. It is recognised for the birth anniversary of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
· With an aim to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Tricolour hoisting for the first time by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose at Port Blair, the central government has announced a release of Rs 75 coin.
· Indian mountaineer Satyarup Siddhanta became the first Indian to climb Mt Giluwe, the second highest mountain in Papua New Guinea. Satyarup reached the summit of the mountain which is at an elevation of 4,367 metres. Satya now has scaled 5 of the 7 volcanic summits.
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India’s first Inland Multi-Modal Terminal Port on river Ganga at Ramnagar in Varanasi and received first container cargo belonging to PepsiCo.
· Co-founder Binny Bansal has resigned as CEO of Flipkart Group. This was announced by Walmart, the new owner of the e-commerce company.Kalyan Krishnamurthy will continue to be CEO of Flipkart, which will now include Myntra and Jabong, continuing to operate as separate platforms within the Flipkart business.
· Online matrimony brand BharatMatrimony has announced cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni as its brand ambassador.
· Officials from 4 countries (Quad) – Australia, India, Japan and the United States will hold the third “Quadrilateral” or Quad meeting in Singapore on November 14th. The meeting will be held on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend this meeting, and is expected to focus on infrastructure projects, maritime security cooperation and discuss regional challenges including development.
· The 17th ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) Council Meeting was held in Singapore as part of the 33rd ASEAN Summit and Related Summit Meetings. The blueprint seeks sustained and long-term growth for the ASEAN region.
· Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the world’s largest financial technology festival Fintech in Singapore. Addressing the gathering, Prime Minister stated Fintech is a celebration of belief in the spirit of innovation and power of technology.